- I wrote, wrote, wrote!
- Edited and received feedback from professional script readers.
- Got Community feedback to help deepen characters. This is ongoing!
- The Story is on the homepage if you missed it.
Create Facial Expression Reference Sheets
- One of the strongest indicators for emotions is our face, and emotions express our rich and diverse humanity, so I chose to cast real people for RADIFY’s lead characters.
- Each lead is cast from within their community,
- Photographed and test sketched, and then
- Photographed in over 40 emotional states and at three different angles.
- Check out Realism (Europe) and Social Realism (US), both helped inspire my approach to drawing RADIFY.
Visualizing the Script
- Each page of the book is made up of multiple pen and ink drawings.
- I have left texts (dialogue, narration, etc.) and color correction unfinished for now. This will allow me to make adjustments once all the book’s drawings are complete.
- Here are some sample book pages before texts, each is made from multiple pen and ink drawings (See more in Drawings):
Community Engagement Ongoing
Community engagement is ongoing and will grow through each book in the series.
- Face models for lead characters were cast from within their communities for the facial expression reference sheets.
- RADIFY’s three protagonists’ personal stories are based on a range of true-life experiences.
- Sensitivity script readings, feedback, and consultations with community members and organizations have and will continue to happen at various stages of production.
- I am developing book contributions with each community. Book one will include:
- heartfelt letters to fictional characters from their real life community
- zine contributions
- syllabi pertaining to ideas in the book
- diagrams pertaining to ideas in the book
- See current face model and contributor Bios.
To Any Aspiring Graphic Novelists perusing this site,
I never seem to take the easy route. This is a very time consuming process! You have been warned!